For Zoning, Contact Mike Julien

HOME: (419) 208-9009















Need a Permit?

Many types of construction require a permit including, but not limited to, fences, sheds, decks, signs, new dwellings, change of use, and grading. The Zoning Inspector will gladly assist in the permit process.  Here are the ways you can apply for a permit:

  • Select the needed permit application from the list below (scroll down), print and complete it and bring it to the Zoning office for approval and payment.

  • OR meet face to face with the Zoning Inspector to complete and submit your permit application.

The Village of Van Buren utilizes Wood County Building Inspection for inspection and permitting of commercial properties. These permits and inspections are in addition to zoning permits that must be received through the Village of Van Buren Zoning Department.  Wood County Building Inspection may also be contacted at:

  • 419-354-9190 (Phone)

  • 419-373-6786 (Fax)

  • 419-354-9190 (Inspections)



What is the Permit Application Forms Process?

  • In accordance with Van Buren Ordinance Number 718, the standard process for obtaining a Zoning Permit is as follows:

  •             The property owner/applicant determines that a particular project is wanted and seeks to fulfill the need utilizing the process provided in the Village Zoning Code.

  •             The applicant obtains an application to obtain the proper permit by downloading the application from the Village Website (, or by contacting the Zoning Inspector (419-208-9009) to have the proper application mailed to them.

  •             The applicant completes the application as required and sends the application along with any other drawings as indicated on the application form along with the proper permit fee(s) required for processing.  If the project involves the construction of a primary home, the applicant will submit the building plans to include the front façade appearance, footprint of the building(s) on the property and other documents/drawings as may be applicable or as requested by the zoning inspector.

  •         No application will be processed by the zoning inspector’s office without the submission of the associated application fee and other fees (i.e. utility assessments) as applicable.

  •         The normal processing time for basic applications is 72-96 hours.  If the Village Architectural Committee needs to review the project plans, the turn-around time will be 72 hours after the plans have been approved by that committee.  Should the project submitted require review by the Village Planning Commission, the application will be processed within 72 hours after the Planning Commission approves the project.

  •         Checklists have been prepared and are available for download for the most common projects on the Village website as listed above.  If any questions or concerns arise, contact the Village Zoning Inspector at the phone number listed above or via email –




NOTE – If your application is denied, you have the right to file for a hearing before the Board of Zoning Appeals.  The process for this is located elsewhere on the Village website.



  • What requires a zoning permit?

Construction, which includes but not limited to: Additions, sheds, decks, fences, swimming pools, and signs, whether new or replacement.

Any time a property changes its use.

Any development located within a floodplain. 

When in doubt, call the Zoning Inspector to see if your particular project must have a zoning permit.

  • How long is a zoning permit good for?

A zoning permit is valid for one year after the date of its issuance.

  • How much does a Zoning Permit cost?

Please refer to the Zoning Permit Fee Schedule:

  • Why do I need a Zoning Permit?

A permit is necessary before construction begins to assure the project is meeting: size, height and setback requirements per the Village zoning code.

  • What happens if I do not obtain a permit?

If you fail to obtain a permit before construction starts or changes of use are made to any property, and the permit fee will be doubled and a stop work order will be placed on the project until the proper permit is secured with all fees paid.


  • What is a site plan?

It is a sketch that indicates where your structure is in relation to the property lines, and the dimensions of the structure and the lot.

  • What constitutes a change of use?

When there is a change of one use type to another. For example, a residential use changes to an office or retail use, or an office changes to a retail or residential use.

Zoning Code

Zoning Application Forms

Zoning Permits Fee Schedule

Utilities Assessment Fees

Zoning Committee Meeting Minutes

Zoning Committee Meeting Schedule

Buren Trace Forms

Meadow Ridge Forms

Unraveling the Mysteries of Zoning: Clues for Citizens and Local Officials

Van Buren - Waterline & Sanitary Utilities

Van Buren - Village Sanitary Sewer Service Area

Zoning Pamphlet

New Home Residential Permit Application

Van Buren Engineering Checklist for Subdivision

Board of Zoning Appeals

Buren Trace Residential Permit Application

Alterations/Change of Use Application

Deck Permit Application

Driveway Permit Application

Fence Permit Application

Garage/Driveway Permit Application

New Home/Residential Permit Application (extension of time)

New Home/Residential Permit Application

New Home Buren Trace/Residential Permit Application

Pool Permit Application

Restoration or Addition to Home Permit Application

Shed Permit Application

Sidewalk Permit Application

Standard Setbacks

zoning meeting.jpg